YBN badge

YBN badge

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Missing Link At The Linc

Just recently, I did a grand tour of Lincoln Financial Field. The journey was fully equipped with in depth views of the press box, broadcast booth, and even a breathtaking view of the player's locker room. But something big was missing. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but something was alarmingly astray.

And by alarming, I don't just mean that the crew at the Linc were beginning to set up for and upcoming soccer game that Wednesday. I frantically ran through a mental check as I walked on my guided path through the stadium. From the nostalgic team picture of Dick Vermeil's 1980 Eagles, to the not so subtle reminder that the great Reggie White once captured the hearts of this great city, everything seemed to be sitting in peaceful harmony.

That was until the candid answer of a young child in response to the tour guide's question. As we stopped in a hallway that elaborately had its walls decorated with pictures of current Eagle players, the guide locked eyes with the child and asked the question that completely changed this experience for me. She proudly blurted, "Do you know who that player is that wears number 4?". His uncomfortable period of silence was only broken by a hesitant mumble of, "I don't really know who that guy is".

I attempted to break the unbearable tension by exclaiming that the player was Donovan McNabb. But my effort failed in a cold, miserable fashion. Not a person laughed, no follow up comments, and only a gasp of disgust from an older lady who had little appreciation for my humor.

It was the first slap of realization that the  Donovan McNabb era in Philadelphia was over. We have officially moved on from the firm identity that we have known for the last decade. And who could fault the little boy for his sobering, direct answer. The truth of the matter is that those who call themselves the Philadelphia Eagles fans faithful, have no idea who number 4 truly is either.

4 comments:

  1. It was an awesome experience but really weird not to see McNabb stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an odd twist to the trip. The ironic part, is that you hear such praise and confidence when players coaches and media refer to Kevin Kolb. It almost has the feeling that the locker room has, in large part, approved of the change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words of wisdom. Sounds like it may have come from somebody famous. And I can't help but feel that I have seen that on another comment board in the past.

    ReplyDelete